Character actor Steve Buscemi was once quoted as saying to a dentist, “If you fix my teeth, I’ll never work again.” Apparently, he felt that his misaligned teeth were an asset to playing unusual or realistic people in films or television. Unless you are considering becoming a Hollywood character actor, straightening your teeth might be something you are considering. At Mosaic Smiles, Dr. Aly Elgeddawi and Dr. Hisham Barakat have years of experience in producing healthy and beautiful smiles, even if it isn’t your job to stand in front of a camera all day. Take a moment to find out from these expert doctors how Invisalign in Fairfax, VA can help you create a smile that you can be proud of.
What is Invisalign?
Invisalign is a revolutionary teeth straightening process that alleviates the discomfort and unflattering look of metal braces, as well as providing the same great results. After an initial consultation to create an optimal treatment plan, you will be fitted with a series of clear plastic trays that are designed to slowly move your teeth into the desired position. Each tray is usually worn for about 2-3 weeks and then discarded for the next one in the series. Your teeth will gently move into the proper position in as little as six months; however, the total time will vary depending on your individual needs and desires.
What Can I Expect?
In order to get the best results, you are going to have to commit to wearing your new aligners for about 20-22 hours a day. The more consistent you are in wearing them, the quicker the treatment plan will go. The following are some things to consider when embarking on an Invisalign treatment plan:
- You will need to plan your meals so that you can make sure you are wearing your braces the recommended amount of time per day.
- You will need to brush your teeth after each meal, so be sure you have a brush and plenty of extra toothpaste to carry with you.
- If you regularly drink anything that can stain your teeth, such as coffee, tea or red wine, you will need to make sure you are brushing well to combat the effects, as these can stain your clear tray.
- Never use toothpaste to clean your Invisalign trays. Commercial toothpastes have abrasive ingredients that could cause build-up or odors. Use mild detergent or soap instead.
- Even though most people won’t notice you are wearing them, they might notice you are talking a little differently. The trays can cause a bit of a lisp when speaking, but this will get better with time as you adjust to them.
- Most people will be finished with Invisalign treatment in under a year, but some cases span longer periods. Be prepared to see the process through to the end for the best results.
Benefits of Invisalign
The comfort, ease and relative speed of Invisalign are just some of the great advantages that an Invisalign treatment plan offers. The following are a few more benefits users enjoy:
- There is nothing better than feeling good about the way you look. A healthy, bright smile can do wonders for your self-esteem, which can lead to positive effects in all areas of your life.
- The trays are completely clear and very hard to detect when one is wearing them. You can smile with ease knowing that they are not detracting from your looks.
- The treatment is virtually painless, with no uncomfortable wires or brackets to worry about. The gentle process of switching trays makes for a seamless and comfortable experience.
If you think Invisalign might be like the right option for your teeth straightening, contact your cosmetic dentist in Fairfax, VA today.